Grant for a maximum of $65,000 to cover up to 80% of eligible costs.
Portfolio of buildings:
Grant for a maximum of $200,000 to cover up to 80% of eligible costs (cost per building cannot exceed $65,000).
All Canadian municipal governments (with the exception of Low Carbon Cities Canada (LC3) namesake municipalities; Municipal government project partners.
Applications are accepted year round, though this offer will close when all funding has been allocated.
See the application guide for a list of eligible costs.
Integrate energy and GHG reductions into longer-term management plans for local recreational and cultural facilities. Studies will include feasibility work to support near-term and long-term capital projects while mapping out a course to extend asset life and reduce cost of ownership (i.e., the total capital, operating and maintenance costs over the building’s remaining useful life).
What is a GHG reduction pathway?
A sequence of GHG reduction measures that allow local recreational and cultural facilities to achieve 50% GHG reductions within 10 years and 80% GHG reductions within the next 20 years.
This grant enables the identification of measures to be addressed in a GHG reduction pathway retrofit capital project. Studies will consider the unique objectives and constraints of the building owner (e.g., building condition, capital budgets, equipment renewal cycles, etc.), and provide a detailed exploration of multiple optimization scenarios.
Please read our technical guide to applying for this study grant before submitting your application.
To be eligible for this grant, projects must include at least one community building that is owned by a municipality or not-for-profit organization.
A community building is an enclosed public place or an enclosed workplace that is:
- owned by a municipal government or not-for-profit;
- primarily used for the purposes of providing athletic, recreational, culture and community programs or services to the local community;
- widely accessible to everyone offering services designed to enhance the health and well-being, skills development, and economic development of individuals and communities.
Community buildings include:
- indoor ice rinks, indoor sports arenas, indoor swimming pools,
- community and recreational centres (e.g., community centres, clubhouses, seniors’ centres and clubs, recreation centres, gyms, halls, and curling rinks),
- arts and culture facilities (cultural facilities, performing arts facilities, art galleries, and auditoriums),
- libraries, and
- multi-purpose buildings which include one or more of the above community functions as well as other services/administrative functions.
For full project scope and eligibility, please read our application guide.
Only one grant is eligible per municipality, regardless of whether the included building (or buildings) are owned by the municipality or a not-for-profit.
Funding is subject to availability. We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
How to Apply
- Review the application guide. Make sure to look at the eligibility criteria and required document sections.
- Visit the FCM funding portal to create your profile and request a PIN to access the system. Already have an FCM funding portal profile? Skip to Step 3
- Complete the pre-application form available on the FCM funding portal.
- Submit the form to GMF following the instructions in the application guide. Applicants will receive a response within 15 business days of receipt of the initial proposal.
- Eligible projects will be invited to submit a full application.
If you are not eligible to apply, sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed about other funding opportunities.
Are you seeking guidance to you get the most of your CBR initiative?
GMF now offers a new CBR Advisory Service and is intended to help municipalities maximize the potential of their CBR project by matching them to industry leaders who understand best practices in energy retrofits of community buildings and who can help municipalities achieve their energy goals.
Sign up for alerts whenever a new funding opportunity is added.
Get alerted anytime a new funding opportunity is added to see if you could be eligible for more funding on your projects.
Need help to see if this is the right funding for you?
Contact our Outreach team who can answer any questions you have relating to this funding opportunity.