At FCM’s Green Municipal Fund (GMF), you’ll be part of a team that helps fight climate change from the frontlines, where its effects are felt the most—Canada’s municipalities. Here, you’ll find a meaningful career supporting local sustainability and see the environmental, social and economic impact of your work across the country. You’ll be welcomed into an established not-for-profit with a rich history, clear vision and a bright future.
What our team has to say about working at GMF
agreed GMF has a positive, healthy & balanced work environment
believe that FCM is committed to employee wellness
feel their work is meaningful
see the direct impact their work has on the company’s success
feel a sense of belonging at work
* Answers based on an anonymous survey of GMF staff
About the Green Municipal Fund
The Green Municipal Fund helps local governments switch to sustainable practices faster. Our funding, resources and training empowers municipalities to build better lives for Canadians. GMF is a $1.65 billion (and growing) permanent endowment from the Government of Canada, managed at arm's length, making it nimble and available for high-risk, high-impact initiatives.
The Green Municipal Fund is the flagship program of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. FCM is the national voice of municipal government since 1901, with over 2,000 members nationwide that represent more than 92 percent of all Canadians from coast to coast to coast.
Why you’ll love it here
You have a passion for climate action, building resilient communities, and improving the lives of Canadians. You want to make a difference, and you want to see the impact of your work unfold in real time. You want to feel empowered in your work, delivering quality of life across Canada with the support you need to look after yourself and your family. You want to work with people who care, and for an organization that walks the talk.
If any of this sounds like you, we think you’ll love it here. A few reasons why:
- You'll help build resilient, low carbon communities
At GMF, you will see the hope and support for ambitious climate action unfold across the country. You will support and guide municipalities to build resiliency and create a better Canada. You’ll work for an organization that has a national reach, and the resources to accelerate change.
We get to see the impact of our work on a national scale:
- The Green Municipal Fund has helped bring nearly 2,000 sustainability projects to life across Canada.
- Through GMF, municipalities have reduced carbon emissions; built better transportation assets; constructed efficient and resilient buildings; diverted waste from landfill; made previously unusable land available for development; and improved soil and water quality.
- Year after year, we get to see the direct impact of our work and hear from people who have worked with us to build better lives in their community.
- FCM has been there for Canadian municipalities for over a century.
- The Green Municipal Fund has been helping communities switch to sustainable practices for over two decades and we’re set up to continue our work in perpetuity.
- You’ll enjoy a flexible, wellness-focused culture
At FCM’s Green Municipal Fund, you’ll feel valued and supported with our flexible work model that puts our team members at the heart of our day to day. You’ll be encouraged to take care of yourself and your family, while being given the resources you need for professional growth.
We prioritize work-life balance with our flexible model:
- In collaboration with your manager and based on what your team needs, you have the flexibility to determine when and where you work so that you can enjoy a healthy balance between work and personal demands.
- While you do need to live in Canada, for most roles you can work primarily from home. Travel may be required to Head Office in Ottawa periodically.
We don’t just talk about employee wellness, we live it:
- Summer hours between July 1 and Labour Day:
- 7-hour workdays rather than 7.5
- Every Friday off in the summer (no, really!)
- Flexible work arrangements to support productivity and well-being.
- Commitment to employee development: language training, project management courses, annual budget for employee upskilling, and more.
- Competitive range of employee benefits and services.
- Office facilities located in Ottawa’s downtown core and easily accessible by public transit and active transportation.
- You'll be part of an organization that puts its values into action
When it comes to our values, we walk the talk. At FCM’s Green Municipal Fund, we strive to put our values into action and make them a part of everyday life.
One of our core values is supporting local governments in their efforts to build healthy, vibrant and sustainable communities that value and respect their local ecosystems. So naturally, we’re committed to doing our part to reduce our environmental footprint.Our Sustainability Working Group (SWG) aims to mirror the great work GMF is doing with municipalities within our operations . Over the years, the SWG has championed a number of changes that have translated into corporate policies and practices to improve the environmental footprint of our activities.
- The SWG publicly reports on FCM’s progress on corporate environmental sustainability, sets sustainability objectives, presents comparable year-over-year data to report on progress and inspires other associations and municipalities to improve their environmental impact through concrete actions and repeatable ideas.
- The SWG informs official corporate policy by developing the FCM Environmental Sustainability Charter and setting the stage for sustainability targets and actions in our corporate strategic plan.
Both our offices are accessible by active transport, with accommodations for those who choose to use it. We are signatories to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investing.
Reconciliation, Anti-Racism, Equity and Inclusion
At FCM and the Green Municipal Fund, we represent and support all Canadians. That’s why Reconciliation, anti-racism, equity and inclusion are cornerstones of our corporate values.
As an organization, we endeavour to unlearn colonial mindsets and practices, grow in knowledge, and adapt ways of working.
- We provide resources and training to our staff and continue to build meaningful relationships through working with and donating to groups like the Assembly of Seven Generations, an Indigenous youth led organization focused on community support and opportunities for Indigenous youth.
- We engage external and internal expertise in anti-racism, justice and equity to support an internal dialogue and continued conversation that drives action.
- We assess FCM’s internal policies and practices through a racialized lens, with expert support. This includes recruitment and evaluation practices, and specific efforts to promote diversity and address systemic barriers, including through leadership and anti-racism training for all staff.
- We ensure FCM’s mental health supports are comprehensive to the unique mental health needs and realities of Black, Indigenous and other racialized colleagues.
- We audit internally to ensure measurable targets relating to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion are met.