Financing (a combination of a grant and a loan) for up to 20% of total eligible project costs
Up to a maximum combined financing of $10 million
50% grant and 50% loan*
*Northern providers are eligible for a 60% grant. Please see application guide for details.
Canadian municipal governments (e.g., towns, cities, regions, districts and local boards thereof)
Municipally owned corporations, such as municipal housing service providers; or
Non-profit, mission-driven affordable housing providers, including cooperatives.
Applications are accepted year-round, though this offer will close when the annual funding has been allocated.
See the application guide for a list of eligible costs.
We provide grants and loans to support the construction of a new affordable housing project to a higher environmental performance standard.
This funding supports measures to install physical infrastructure, to create new housing units that are designed to achieve net-zero-ready building energy performance. Projects working toward NZER/NZE can reach this target through a range of methods and building performance standards. These include, but are not limited to, Passive House©, LEED® Platinum, or Canada Green Building Council’s Zero Carbon Building. GMF does not require certification through any of these programs.
To be eligible for funding, new construction projects are required to meet NZE/NZER standards. Specifically, buildings in most regions must target a net annual total energy use intensity (TEUI) of less than 80 kWh/m2 at project completion. Northern applicants may target a net annual TEUI of up to 120 kWh/m2. See application guide for more details.
Time to complete projects
Projects are typically expected to be completed within three years of FCM approval.
Funding is stackable with CMHC’s Co-Investment Fund and other initiatives of the National Housing Strategy, as well as programs available through the provinces or territories.
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
How to apply
- Review the application guide. Make sure to look at the eligibility criteria and required document sections.
- Visit the FCM funding portal to create your profile and request a PIN to access the system. Already have an FCM funding portal profile? Skip to step 3.
- Complete the pre-application form available on the FCM funding portal following the instructions in the application guide. Applicants will receive a response within 15 business days of receipt of the initial proposal.
- Eligible projects will be invited to submit a full application.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities and municipally-owned corporations interested in applying should contact GMF.
Municipally-owned corporations are not included in the agreement with MAMH. They must obtain authorization from the Quebec government to secure an agreement with FCM, in accordance with the Ministère du Conseil exécutif. Private non-profit organizations can submit to GMF directly.
Once you have completed all the steps in the ‘How to apply’ section, submit your application by following the steps below. Note that the content of the links is available in French only.
- Save your application form using the appropriate file name.
- Save the application form to your local device with the following filename: FMV_ "your municipality's name"_ "date" (YYMMDD). For example: FMV_TownofABC_180228.pdf
- Log in to the Portail gouvernemental des affaires municipales et régionales using your username and password.
- To submit your form click on “File Transfer”.
- In the “Recipient” drop-down list, select the applicable program.
- Upload your files and press “Transfer” once your request is complete.
- Receive confirmation from MAMH.
- MAMH assesses the applications to ensure that the projects submitted do not conflict with Quebec's government policies and directives. Once the assessment has been completed, MAMH informs the applicant of their decision and sends compliant applications to GMF for review.
- MAMH requires up to 15 working days to review the application and forward it to GMF.
- Receive approval from GMF.
- GMF will inform the applicant once they receive the application from MAMH and review the submission. If the application is approved for funding, an agreement between FCM and the applicant is prepared.
Sign up for alerts whenever a new funding opportunity is added.
Get alerted anytime a new funding opportunity is added to see if you could be eligible for more funding on your projects.
Need help to see if this is the right funding for you?
Contact our Outreach team who can answer any questions you have relating to this funding opportunity.