Grants of up to $25,000 to cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
Municipally owned corporations, such as municipal housing service providers; or
Non-profit, mission-driven affordable housing providers, including cooperatives.
We provide planning grants to assist housing providers in the early stages of sustainable affordable housing development. This grant is intended to fund the development of deliverables required in applications for additional funding (e.g., GMF’s Sustainable Affordable Housing (SAH) study grant or the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s (CMHC) Seed Funding program) as you progress through the next stages of energy-efficient affordable housing projects.
This grant supports the initial planning phase of projects through a variety of activities based on the needs of the applicant. Activities supported by the planning grant may include:
- Project initiation: meetings, project scoping, work plan and timelines, background review, project visioning and goal setting
- Needs assessment: evaluating housing stock, resident support, preliminary review of building opportunities
- Basic financial assessment: review of current budget information, tasks and scope to assess magnitude of project costs and potential savings and funding sources
- Stakeholder engagement activities
- Evaluation of energy-efficient approaches
- Support to identify qualified design consultants and contractors
Time to complete projects
Projects are typically expected to be completed within two years of FCM approval.
Funding is stackable with CMHC’s Co-Investment Fund and other initiatives of the National Housing Strategy, as well as programs available through the provinces or territories.
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
Required supporting documents
- Detailed project budget
- Constating documents *
- Relevant letter(s) from confirmed source(s) of funding if available
- Resumes of the project team.
* Founding articles of incorporation of the lead applicant, in order to ensure eligibility.
How to Apply
- Review the application guide. Make sure to look at the eligibility criteria and required document sections.
- Visit the FCM funding portal to create your profile and request a PIN to access the system. Already have an FCM funding portal profile? Skip to step 3.
- Complete the pre-application eligibility screening available on the FCM funding portal following the instructions in the application guide.
- Eligible projects will be invited to submit a full application.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities and municipally-owned corporations interested in applying should contact GMF.
Municipally-owned corporations are not included in the agreement with MAMH. They must obtain authorization from the Quebec government to secure an agreement with FCM, in accordance with the Ministère du Conseil exécutif. Private non-profit organizations can submit to GMF directly.
Sign up for alerts whenever a new funding opportunity is added.
Get alerted anytime a new funding opportunity is added to see if you could be eligible for more funding on your projects.
Need help to see if this is the right funding for you?
Contact our Outreach team who can answer any questions you have relating to this funding opportunity.