Maximum of $5 million per project. Up to 25% as a grant and the remainder as a loan. Combined loan and grant for up to 80% of eligible project costs
Achieve a minimum 30 percent GHG emissions reduction through a retrofit of a community building when compared to baseline emissions. Eligible projects may be a single comprehensive community building retrofit, or a portfolio of buildings provided the portfolio includes:
- more than one community building within the same municipality; or
- at least one community building and other municipal buildings within the same municipality; or,
- similar community buildings within multiple municipalities (subject to GMF review).
What is the required GHG impact?
Projects must aim to achieve a minimum 30 percent GHG reduction from current or baseline performance. Eligible projects may be a single building retrofit, or a portfolio of buildings (across a single municipality or group of municipalities) where each building meets the 30 percent reduction threshold.
A maximum of one third of the total GHG reductions from a building’s baseline performance can come from on-site renewable energy generation.
Read our application guide for full details.
Learn how your municipality can use a pathway approach to achieve maximum GHG reductions (near net zero) over time through CBR’s GHG Reduction Pathway educational video. Watch the video here.
To be eligible for this grant, projects must include at least one community building that is owned by a municipality or not-for-profit organization.
A community building is an enclosed public place or an enclosed workplace that is:
owned by a municipal government or not-for-profit;
primarily used for the purposes of providing athletic, recreational, culture and community programs or services to the local community;
widely accessible to everyone offering services designed to enhance the health and well-being, skills development, and economic development of individuals and communities.
Community buildings include:
- indoor ice rinks, indoor sports arenas, indoor swimming pools,
- community and recreational centres (e.g., community centres, clubhouses, seniors’ centres and clubs, recreation centres, gyms, halls, curling rinks)
- arts and culture facilities (cultural facilities, performing arts facilities, art galleries, and auditoriums)
- libraries, and
- multi-purpose buildings which include one or more of the above community functions as well as other services/administrative functions.
For full project scope and eligibility, please read our application guide.
CBR only provides funding for one type of capital project per municipality. In addition, only one GHG impact retrofit project is eligible per municipality, regardless of whether the included building (or buildings) are owned by the municipality or a not-for-profit organization.
Funding is subject to availability. We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
How to Apply
- Review the application guide. Make sure to look at the eligibility criteria and required document sections.
- Visit the FCM funding portal to create your profile and request a PIN to access the system. Already have an FCM funding portal profile? Skip to Step 3
- Complete the pre-application form available on the FCM funding portal.
- Submit the form to GMF following the instructions in the application guide. Applicants will receive a response within 15 business days of receipt of the initial proposal.
- Eligible projects will be invited to submit a full application.
If you are not eligible to apply, sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed about other funding opportunities.
Are you seeking guidance to you get the most of your CBR initiative?
GMF now offers a new CBR Advisory Service and is intended to help municipalities maximize the potential of their CBR project by matching them to industry leaders who understand best practices in energy retrofits of community buildings and who can help municipalities achieve their energy goals.
Sign up for alerts whenever a new funding opportunity is added.
Get alerted anytime a new funding opportunity is added to see if you could be eligible for more funding on your projects.
Need help to see if this is the right funding for you?
Contact our Outreach team who can answer any questions you have relating to this funding opportunity.