Considering a sustainable remediation or risk management project? Practitioners that specialize in contaminated sites have developed tools to help you evaluate your options and compare the benefits. The lists of tools below are adapted from Supplement to Framework for Integrating Sustainability into Remediation Projects.
Free online tools and resources
Typically developed by governments, free online tools are an inexpensive way to perform preliminary evaluations.
- Green Remediation Best Management Practices: An overview of United States Environmental Protection Agency's methodology to address the environmental footprint of site clean-up
- Site Wise: Calculates the sustainability footprint of common remedial alternatives based on a detailed assessment of quantifiable sustainability metrics. Developed by Battelle, U.S. Navy, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Green Remediation Evaluation Matrix: Provides qualitative comparisons of various remediation alternatives. Developed by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
Available through environmental consulting companies, these tools can provide additional expertise during the evaluation.
- GoldSET Decision Support Tool: Uses multi-criteria decision analysis and a standard set of qualitative and quantitative indicators for site remediation, and summarizes results in simple graphic format. Developed by Golder Associates.
- BalancE3: Aggregates sustainability metrics and uses statistical methods to prioritize combinations of eight metrics for a given analysis. Developed by ARCADIS.