Asset management, financial sustainability and extreme weather resiliency are key issues in Canada’s municipal water sector. That is one of the takeaways from this snapshot of existing and emerging water management trends, best practices and opportunities for innovation.
Five key trends are driving decisions in this sector:
- financial sustainability
- the expanding role of water utilities
- changing public expectations
- growing uncertainty regarding future conditions
- new technology
In response to these trends, five objectives will drive utility decisions and investments over the next 5-10 years:
- undertake proactive asset management
- reduce operating costs
- increase system resilience
- improve revenue generation
- manage urban flooding
The report details these and other trends and objectives guiding water manager’s decisions. It also highlights priorities for the sector over the next 5-10 years.