Discover the outstanding environmental initiatives that received FCM’s 2022 Sustainable Communities awards in five categories.
This year’s winners demonstrate vision, leadership and commitment to environmental sustainability, while delivering social and economic benefits in their communities. Spanning from PEI to Alberta, there is something for everyone to learn from. Learn about the background, challenge, approach, barriers, results and next steps of each project.
Natural Asset Management:
- “Tale of a Thousand Turtles” Township of the Archipelago, ON
- “Municipal Servicing Benefits of Natural Infrastructure in Agricultural Lands” Parkland County, AB
Climate Change Mitigation:
- “Switch” PACE Atlantic CIC, Stratford, PE, Charlottetown, PE, Wolfville, NS
- "Shared mobility – RÉGÎM TCiTé" Régie intermunicipale de transport Gaspésie – Magdalen Islands (RÉGÎM) – Gaspésie, QC
- “Food Material Flow Study" Guelph-Wellington, Guelph & Wellington County, ON
- "Réemploi+, Becoming rich in a different way through the circular economy and sustainable development" Régie des matières résiduelles du Lac-Saint-Jean - Lac-Saint-Jean, QC
Affordable Housing Retrofit:
Community Buildings Retrofit:
- “Actionable Roadmap to Net Zero Ice Rinks: from technical solutions to practical implementation” Climate Challenge Network, Toronto, Brampton, Markham, Barrie, Caledon, Halton Hills, Township of King, ON
The recipients presented their projects at the 2023 Sustainable Communities Conference that took place in Ottawa, Ontario, February 7–10. Stay tuned for a recording of their “SCA Talks” presentations.
Want to explore all GMF-funded projects? Check out the Projects Database for a complete overview of funded projects and get inspired by municipalities of all sizes, across Canada.