FCM’s Green Municipal Fund supports sustainability projects that can transform your community and lower GHG emissions
No matter what stage of development you’re at, FCM’s Green Municipal Fund (GMF) can help fund your next sustainability project. For over 23 years, GMF’s long-standing funding offer has helped municipalities switch to sustainable practices faster. Our updated funding goes even further in helping you bring projects to life that address local environmental challenges, enhance quality of life and support a net-zero Canada by 2050.
GMF funds local sustainability projects that help municipalities adopt climate solutions faster in five key focus areas. Our funding can cover between 50 and 80 percent of your eligible project costs, and certain communities may be eligible for up to 100 percent of project costs.
- Grants from $100-500k for up to 50% of eligible costs
- Small communities, northern communities, and eligible Indigenous communities may qualify for a grant of up to 80 percent of eligible project costs for plans, studies, and pilot projects.
- Northern and eligible Indigenous communities that are applying to GMF for the first time may qualify for a grant of up to 100 percent of eligible costs.
- Combined grant and loan to a maximum of $10M for up to 80% of eligible costs
- Grant up to 15 percent of the total loan amount
- Additional 5 percent grant available if the project involves the remediation of a brownfield site
The GMF advantage
GMF is more than just a funding source—we’re a full-service partner in your climate action progress.
- Grants and loans for all stages
- Stackable with other funding sources
- Dedicated staff to help you apply
- Free resources to help build business cases and improve project outcomes
municipal sustainability projects approved
million tonnes of GHG emissions avoided
in national wages and salaries paid to households born out of GMF-funded projects
gigajoules of energy savings per year
GMF has funded thousands of replicable sustainability projects across Canada.
GMF helps Canadian municipalities reduce emissions and achieve their climate objectives.
GMF projects boost your local economy and create jobs.
Our funding can help you save energy costs and increase efficiency.
Find funding that’s right for you
Looking for funding for your sustainability project? Use FCM's Funding Opportunity Finder to find compatible GMF funding that could suit your municipality.
2,100 projects and counting
GMF funds proven and replicable climate innovation at the local level. With the support of the Government of Canada, we’ve invested in over 2,100 successful climate projects in municipalities of all sizes, enhancing the quality of life for people across Canada.
The Green Municipal Fund is a $1.65 billion program, delivered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and funded by the Government of Canada.