GMF works with municipalities and their partners to ensure land is protected, restored, used, and managed responsibly.
We give local governments access to innovative, technically and economically viable environmentally sustainable solutions to their land use challenges. By leveraging our funding and training, GMF provides municipalities the means and resources to lead the transition to sustainable Canadian communities.
What we fund
- Brownfield site remediation
- Renewable energy production on brownfields
- Sustainable neighborhood action plans
- On-site or off-site treatment of contaminated soils, groundwater, or other materials
How it can help
Implement land use solutions that deliver triple-bottom-line benefits to your residents:
- Restore sites to economically productive use
- Remove soil and groundwater contaminants
- Increase green spaces in your community
- Prevent risk to the environment and human health
- Increase quality of life for residents
- Increase residents’ access to parks and community spaces
- Boost area property values
- Reduce urban sprawl, provide space for new housing
- Create attractive, livable neighborhoods
The Green Municipal Fund is a $1 billion program, delivered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and funded by the Government of Canada.