Grant for a maximum of $55,000 to cover up to 60% of eligible costs
Optimize the energy performance of a local recreational or cultural facility in your community. Use this grant to help identify opportunities to reduce whole-building energy use by up to 5-15 percent (with higher savings possible), extend equipment life and reduce maintenance costs.
Two types of projects are eligible for this grant – building recommissioning and building retro-commissioning:
- Recommissioning is a re-optimization process for existing buildings. It aims to improve how building equipment and systems are operating to meet building-use requirements and expectations. This is done by identifying problems and integration issues as well as low-cost or no-cost operational improvements to obtain comfort and energy savings. This process can be undertaken alone or along with a retrofit project.
- Retro-commissioning is like recommissioning, but it applies to an existing building that was not originally commissioned. Additional investigation is usually needed due to lack of prior commissioning data.
Recommissioning and retro-commissioning typically include four phases: Planning, Investigation, Implementation and Hand-off/Closing. At a high level, these phases will define the scope of work, identify and prioritize opportunities for improvements, implement these improvements and develop a strategy to maintain the building performance over time.
Most projects will focus on a single building, however projects with multiple buildings are eligible.
To be eligible for this grant, projects must include at least one community building that is owned by a municipality or not-for-profit organization.
A community building is an enclosed public place or an enclosed workplace that is:
- owned by a municipal government or not-for-profit;
- primarily used for the purposes of providing athletic, recreational, culture and community programs or services to the local community;
- widely accessible to everyone offering services designed to enhance the health and well-being, skills development, and economic development of individuals and communities.
Community buildings include:
- indoor ice rinks, indoor sports arenas, indoor swimming pools,
- community and recreational centres (e.g., community centres, clubhouses, seniors’ centres and clubs, recreation centres, gyms, halls, curling rinks)
- arts and culture facilities (cultural facilities, performing arts facilities, art galleries, and auditoriums)
- libraries, and
- multi-purpose buildings which include one or more of the above community functions as well as other services/administrative functions.
For full project scope and eligibility, please read our application guide.
Only one grant is available per municipality, regardless of whether the included building (or buildings) are owned by the municipality or a not-for-profit organization.
Funding is subject to availability. We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
How to Apply
- Review the application guide. Make sure to look at the eligibility criteria and required document sections.
- Visit the FCM funding portal to create your profile and request a PIN to access the system. Already have an FCM funding portal profile? Skip to Step 3
- Complete the pre-application form available on the FCM funding portal.
- Submit the form to GMF following the instructions in the application guide. Applicants will receive a response within 15 business days of receipt of the initial proposal.
- Eligible projects will be invited to submit a full application.
If you are not eligible to apply, sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed about other funding opportunities.
Are you seeking guidance to you get the most of your CBR initiative?
GMF now offers a new CBR Advisory Service and is intended to help municipalities maximize the potential of their CBR project by matching them to industry leaders who understand best practices in energy retrofits of community buildings and who can help municipalities achieve their energy goals.
Sign up for alerts whenever a new funding opportunity is added.
Get alerted anytime a new funding opportunity is added to see if you could be eligible for more funding on your projects.
Need help to see if this is the right funding for you?
Contact our Outreach team who can answer any questions you have relating to this funding opportunity.